This is news worth repeating: Sisters in Crime Australia's 28th Scarlet Stiletto Awards sets a prize money record.
And the Clan Destine Press Cross-Genre Award is now $750.
The annual Scarlet Stiletto Awards for best short crime and mystery stories by women writers is this year offering record $11,910 in prizes this year.
“We’re thrilled that all but one sponsor has continued their support despite these financially fraught times – and that two new supporters have come on board.”
The Viliama Grakalic Art and Crime Award ($750) is named in honour of the late artist, and long-time member, who bequeathed $4000 to Sisters in Crime.
The Booktopia Publisher Services is offering a prize of $750 for the Best Environmental Mystery.
Mark Harding, BPS Brand & Content Manager, said: “We’re excited to sponsor the Best Environmental Mystery Award and to be able to support the Scarlet Stilettos. We’re huge supporters of Australian writing and believe some of the best crime writing in the world is created in our own backyard.”
Carmel Shute said that several sponsors had also upped the amount on offer.
“Our 15 sponsors are a diverse bunch. What they have in common is an unswerving commitment to women’s writing. which has paid off in spades. Since the awards began 28 years ago, 3896 stories have been entered and 30 winners – including winners of the Shoe and category winners – have gone on to have books published,” she said.The full list of awards is:
- Swinburne University Award: 1st Prize: $1500
- Simon & Schuster Award: 2nd prize: $1000
- Sun Bookshop & Wild Dingo Award: 3rd Prize: $600
- Affirm Press Award for Best Young Writer (under 19): $500
- Monash University Award for Best Emerging Writer (19-25): $500
- Melbourne Athenaeum Library ‘Body in the Library’ Award: $1250 ($750 runner-up)
- Booktopia Publisher Services Award for Best Environmental Mystery: $750
- Clan Destine Press Award for Best Cross-genre Story: $750
- Every Cloud Award for Best Mystery with History Story: $750
- Kerry Greenwood Award for Best Malice Domestic Story: $750
- Viliama Grakalic Art and Crime Award: $750
- Writers Victoria Crime and Punishment Award: $660 (studio residency, Old Melbourne Gaol) for the Story with the Most Satisfying Retribution
- HQ Fiction Award for Best Thriller: $500
- ScriptWorks Award for a Great Film Idea: $500
- Liz Navratil Award for Best Story with a Disabled Protagonist Award: $400
Our twelve-book Scarlet Stiletto ebook collection, available right here at Clan Destine Press.
Closing date for the awards is 31 August, 2021.
Entry fee is $25; or @20 for Sisters in Crime members.
Maximum story length is 5000 words.
The awards will be presented at a gala ceremony in Melbourne in late November (pandemic permitting).
Download an entry form and a list of FAQs or pay the entry fee at enter the Sisters in Crime Scarlet Stiletto Awards.